Wednesday 23 April 2014

Flora Reviews... Building From Ashes: An Elemental World Novel #1 by Elizabeth Hunter



 

(https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16005449-building-from-ashes)
 

...So what’s this book about?
Building From Ashes is primarily an urban vampire romance with a thriller/mystery plot running along in the background and is the first book in the Elemental World series, a spin-off of the Elemental Mysteries series quartet (A Hidden Fire #1, This Same Earth #2, The Force of Wind #3 and A Fall of Water #4).
We read this story through the eyes of Carwyn ap Bryn and Brigid Connor although I felt that it was Brigid’s story a little more than Carwyn’s. The timeline in this story stretches from before A Hidden Fire starts (finding out a little about Carwyn’s history and Brigid’s childhood) until after A Fall of Water finishes, so I think that you should read the Mysteries quartet first to enjoy this book to it’s fullest.

 ...So, what did I like about it?
Everything! I’m already a fan of Ms Hunter; her writing style, the characters she creates, and the way she unfolds her stories to us. This book didn’t let me down. I enjoyed the development of the relationships between not only Carwyn & Brigid but all the characters in this story and how it added background “meat” to the Elemental Mysteries quartet books.
This story held me from start to finish, I found it a real page turner – couldn’t put it down! Carwyn had me laughing and yes, a few tears did fall on a number of occasions too plus the mystery element to this story had me completely baffled, the plot’s unexpected twists and turns keeping me on the edge of my seat.

...So, ummm, was there anything I disliked about it?
No, not a thing! ;-)

...So, basically what I’m saying is...
I really loved this book! I was already completely captivated by Carwyn and I relished the chance to get to know who Brigid was and fall in love with her too! Anyone who has already read and enjoyed Giovanni & Beatrice’s story in the Elemental Mysteries series will love Building From Ashes too.

No comments:

Post a Comment