Saturday 26 April 2014

Flora Reviews... Deadly Beauties: Blood’s Fury (#1) by C M Owens



(https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20885104-blood-s-fury)


...So what’s this book about?
This is book 1 of the Deadly Beauties series; it sets the scene, introduces us to a myriad of immortal characters (witches, vampires, werewolves & shape-shifters) and starts the many interweaving stories.  
Alyssa Coldwell, is a twenty year old girl who is a year away from becoming an immortal witch and wants to break away from her controlling Mum and live life like a human while she can. This book is written in the first person from Alyssa’s point of view. Kane Ice is Alyssa’s love interest but as with all romance novels, their relationship has it’s fair share of hurdles; mysterious deaths in the town, Alyssa’s mum going missing, immortals out for Alyssa’s blood and more secrets than you can shake a stick at!  

 ...So, what did I like about it?
The fact that this story was about a young woman stepping out to make it on her own drew me to this book. Alyssa is the daughter of very powerful parents and I liked the added dimension of her real struggle to control her darker power.
Falling in love is an amazing experience and I did chuckle over the way Alyssa did and said the opposite of what she knew she should say and do at times. We’ve all been there! All the males is this book were very “alpha male” satisfying my primal urge when reading urban or contemporary romance novels *wink*wink*. The passion between Alyssa and Kane was very hot & steamy and her attraction (and possible potential entanglement) to Thad highly believable.  
This story had lots of different immortal beings thrown into the mix which added to it’s charm and I liked the idea that this immortal world had “councils” that they were governed by.

...So, ummm, was there anything I disliked about it?
I’m going to put the cat among the pigeons here and say, yes, there was about this first book that I didn’t like.  
I did feel that Alyssa’s missing mum was totally overshadowed by the ongoing romance between Alyssa and Kane. I think this was a mistake, it could have added such depth to the story. I wanted to know what leads were they following that took Alyssa around the world and what did they find out when they got to each destination?
Alyssa’s idea that white is good and dark is evil and her inability to learn for herself that her modern immortal world is in fact a myriad shades of grey also wore thin for me very quickly making it very hard for me to care about her towards the end. Ms Owens included plenty of indicators when writing about Kane that clearly should have lead Alyssa to suspecting his secret, but she didn’t. Is this being naive, totally blinded by lust or just unintelligent?  
And finally, I enjoy questions being left unanswered when I’m reading a series but this book didn’t seem to answer any question and I found it very frustrating, it sort of just ended.

...So, basically what I’m saying is...
I did like the story but found my irritation due to Alyssa immaturity overshadowing my enjoyment at times. I read one of the reviews saying that adults will love this book; well I didn’t love it, I do think it’s more in the Young Adult paranormal romance genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment