Wednesday 16 April 2014

Flora Reviews... The House of the Wulfings: a fantasy tale of Robin Hood by J.P. Reedman


(https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20925651-the-house-of-the-wulfings)


 ...So what’s this book about?
This is a short story (25 pages) set in the Anglo-Saxon period of British history about Robin Hood. Our story takes place sometime after Robin and Marion have married and are living together, with the rest of Robin’s band of outlaws, in Sherwood Forest.

...So, what did I like about it?
The premise for this story is brilliant! The opening chapter plunges us straight into the action. This story wouldn’t look out of place among those books containing old English fairy stories and folk tales. The way this story was told felt like those I have read in “British Folktales” by Katherine Briggs. Ms Reedman’s historical knowledge shines through in not only the names of her characters but their behaviours and her descriptions of the places in which her story takes place. The story’s style and language being from a past era rather than a modern creation making it feel an authentic part of our English history.

...So, ummm, was there anything I disliked about it?
I must confess to getting a bit lost in the old style descriptive language and at times it distracted me from the flow of the story, (something that I’ve experienced before when reading classic literature so I think this is more about my aptitude than the story itself). I do wish that the story had been longer though, to give me more insight into J.P. Reedman’s version of Robin, Marion and the rest of the outlaws as I didn’t feel as though I knew them at all from her point of view, instead I had to bring with me my existing pre-conceived versions of them all into the story.

...So, basically what I’m saying is...
I loved the premise of this story – I enjoyed the originality, but I wish it had been longer. Perhaps Ms Reedman will write some more Robin Hood based stories... I think fans of folk tales, historical fiction and historical fantasy would enjoy it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment