Saturday 26 September 2015

Flora Reviews... Beyond The Veil (The Veil Series #1) by Pippa DaCosta




Beyond The Veil (The Veil Series #1) by Pippa DaCosta

Read: 21st – 25th September 2015
Format: Kindle
My Goodreads Rating:  5 Stars

...So what’s this book about?
This is an urban fantasy novel featuring humans, demons and half-demons and is the first book in a 5 book series called The Veil (although there is also a prequel “Wings Of Hope” which I haven’t read yet that you get for free by signing up to Pippa DeCosta’s Newsletter). I was lucky enough to download Beyond The Veil for free from Amazon UK – what a bargain!
The blurb says:

“They say I’m half demon, but I like to think of myself as half human, especially as the demons want me dead.”

Charlie Henderson is living a lie. Her real name is Muse and her attempt at a normal life is about to go up in smoke.

When a half-demon assassin walks into her life, leaving a trail of destruction in his wake, Muse must return to the one man she hoped never to see again and ask for help. The Prince of Greed isn’t known for his charity. The price is high, and the cost could tear her apart.

Trapped between the malevolent intentions of a Prince of Hell and an assassin with ulterior motives, Muse must embrace the lure of chaos at her core; the demon inside her, in order to survive.

When your ex is the Prince of Greed, you'd better be ready to raise hell.

(Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award 2014 Quarter-Finalist Top 100 in Genre.)


 ...So, what did I like about it?
I found Ms DaCosta’s writing style very easy to read and I never felt lost in the plot. I liked the premise for her world; humans know about the existence of demons (but we don’t know the full truth of their power) some of which have chosen to live in our world (in a human look-a-like shell) while the rest live in their realm the “Netherworld”, half-demons are considered abominations/scum by the full demons and usually killed at birth.  I appreciated the way that Ms DaCosta revealed the complexities and practises of the demon world without upsetting the pace of the tale.
I loved that our main male characters were not your typical “good” or “evil”, making it hard to tell who was Muse’s real hero but then people are a myriad of greys with the potential of great kindness and great evil in us all which is what added a very believable dimension to Ms DeCosta’s characters for me.
The plot kept me guessing right to the last page, it made me laugh, cry and had me, literally, on the edge of my seat at times.

...So, ummm, was there anything I disliked about it?
In a word - no.
That’s not to say that I didn’t find the actions, reasoning and behaviour of some of our main characters frustrating at times but (in my opinion), that’s deliberate; it’s all part of the journey and character/story development that Ms DaCosta  makes us, the reader, experience to make the whole tale so involving.

...So, basically what I’m saying is...
I really loved this book!
I found it well written with a huge amount of twists & turns that kept me guessing throughout this action packed, emotional rollercoaster of an urban fantasy tale!
At the time of writing this, I have already bought the next 4 books in this 5 book series!

So, have I sparked an interested for BEYOND THE VEIL (THE VEIL #1) in you? Just click on the links below and check out the book yourself.



No comments:

Post a Comment