Sunday 27 September 2015

Flora Reviews... The Scent of Sunlight (An Urban Fantasy Short Story) by Annie Bellet




The Scent of Sunlight (An Urban Fantasy Short Story)

Read: 26th September 2015
Format: Kindle
My Goodreads Rating:  5 Stars

...So what’s this book about?

This is a very short story (only 23 pages) with a paranormal or urban fantasy twist.
I was lucky enough to find this version of Ms Bellet’s book for free from Amazon UK – what a bargain!!

The blurb says:

Single mother Queenie Hayes struggles to support her two young children and tells them stories of a world filled with sunlight instead of concrete, a world called the Veldt where magical creatures abound and her family roams, free from the trials of the real world.  

As a social worker threatens to break apart her family, the Veldt offers her family a chance to escape if she can find the courage, and imagination, to reach for it.

The Scent of Sunlight is an urban fantasy short story.

Read on Kindle, Nook, or Most Other E-book Formats

 ...So, what did I like about it?

I am already a big fan of Ms Bellet’s writing style and this short story didn’t disappoint. The situation that she placed the Hayes family in broke my heart, I’m sure it rings true to many single parent families here in the UK and in the US. The story was so well written, the pace was good and smoothly lead to the final scene. I loved Queenie, she was a good person and a loving mother, in fact, Queenie, Angel and little Tammy all felt very real to me.

This tale brought a smile to my lips, a lump in my throat and indignation boiled my blood.  Couldn’t stop reading! It’s quite a skill for an author to involve a reader in their characters’ tale in so few pages, but Ms Bellet did it here for me!

...So, ummm, was there anything I disliked about it?

Absolutely nothing! Although I find the story’s theme of a loving but struggling mum threatened with social services intervention did tug at my comfort zone. It’s such an emotive subject, isn’t it?

...So, basically what I’m saying is...

I loved this little short story; the characters, the paranormal twist and the ending. Here is a kick-ass heroine who will do whatever it takes to ensure her kids are safe and happy but not in the usual “urban fantasy” way! ;-)


So, have I sparked an interested for THE SCENT OF SUNLIGHT in you? Just click on the links below and check out the book yourself.






 


No comments:

Post a Comment