Tuesday 1 December 2015

Flora Reviews... Passion Bites (Biting Love #9) by Mary Hughes



Passion Bites (Biting Love #9) 


Read: 28th – 30th November 2015

Format: Kindle

My Goodreads Rating:  3 Stars




...So what’s this book about?

This is a passionate paranormal romance running alongside a good mystery/action adventure and is the ninth book in Mary Hughes’s Biting Love Series. Although, I haven’t read the previous eight books, I don’t think it was essential to enjoy this one. Saying that, someone who has read the previous books in the series will obviously "get" more from the nuances displayed between the supporting characters and the history of previous story arcs will add depth for them that I missed.

The official blurb says:


A broken vampire and a driven doctor, seized by a passion neither can afford.

Dr. Alexis Byornsson has her hands full in the ER when her patient’s uncle blows into the exam room. Stitching up a five-year-old’s cut is hard enough without a blond god distracting her all to hell.

To say she’s furious is putting it mildly—not that anyone would notice. Not with the legendary control that’s earned her the nickname “Dr. Frozen”.
Luke Steel never knew a woman chastising him could be so sexy. But for the first time in three hundred years, passion stirs in his gut—along with panic. Since his wife was taken before his eyes in a brutal attack, he’s sworn he’d never feel that powerless again.

Almost before either Luke or Alexis realize what’s happening, they’re sharing a blazing kiss that shatters her logical armor and unleashes his wholly unwanted mating instinct. And spurs a closer-than-skin enemy to put into motion a devastating plan for revenge.


The publication date for this book is 8th December 2015, however, I was lucky enough to be given this book for free from the publisher (Samhain Publishing, Ltd) via NetGalley.com in exchange for a fair review.

Thank you.


 ...So, what did I like about it?

I haven’t read any of Ms Hughes Biting Love series before so it was nice that there is a breakdown of all the different vampire families (Households), the main characters and a quick 1 or 2 line bio on each at the front of the book before the story starts.

Ms Hughes is a self confessed romantic and a champion of the “Happily-Ever-After” ending which mirrors my own soppy soul, so the ending for our pair of lovers wasn’t a surprise, however, I enjoyed her fast paced action and the mysteries that she also managed to weave into this romantic tale.

I enjoy my books more when our main female lead is intelligent, resilient and not afraid of a challenge and I wasn’t disappointed here with Dr Alexis Byornsson. She was all this and more. In fact, I enjoyed the emotional journey/healing process that both our main characters went through during this book – very engaging.

...So, ummm, was there anything I disliked about it?

The only things that I struggled with at times were; the overly wordy prose (especially when Alexis and Luke were together), some allegories used here and there that didn’t really make sense to me and the instant sexual relationship between Alexis and Luke. I’m more of a build up kinda gal.

...So, basically what I’m saying is...

I liked this story; it was good. It’s got a blooming (steamy) romance, thriller style mystery, murder, abduction, good versus evil… 
If you like your relationship/romance novels to feature emotional repressed (love-scarred) but loyal heroes/heroines against a background story full of fast paced action then I think you’ll appreciate this tale.  

So, have I sparked an interested for Passion Bites in you? Just click on the links below and check out the book yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment