Thursday 24 December 2015

Flora Reviews... Shadow Touched (#1-4) by Erin Kellison



Shadow Touched (#1-4) 
by Erin Kellison

Read: 20th – 24th December 2015
Format: Kindle
My Goodreads Rating:  4 Stars


...So what’s this book about?

This is a paranormal romance story (with an urban fantasy feel) about human scientist, Dr Cam Kalamos and human Eleanor Russo, who has unique qualities all of her own. Ms Kellison has combined her Shadow series spin-off novellas, Shadow Touch, Shadow Play, Shadow Hunt and the previously unreleased Shadow Burn to bring us Cam and Ellie’s complete romance story here in this novel.

I haven’t read any of Ms Kellison’s other novels and although I’m sure it would have added a further depth of understanding and knowledge of the cast of  characters to this book, I don’t think it’s imperative  to have read the other books in the Shadow series to enjoy this one.

The blurb says:

*Shadow Touched is Ellie and Cam's complete story, previously released as Shadow Touch, Shadow Play and Shadow Hunt, ending in the thrilling conclusion, the previously unreleased Shadow Burn.

A darkness looms over humankind, lurks in mirrors, blurs boundaries—a twilight world ruled by powerful mage Houses...

It is bleeding into our world, bringing with it banshees, wraiths, fae from the twisting forests of Twilight. But Eleanor Russo’s problem is a very different kind of phenomenon. Her dark mirror image is a wild thing, willfully seducing the very man Ellie hoped could help her.

Dr. Cam Kalamos has devoted his career to exploring the boundaries between this world and Twilight. But nothing could prepare him for the mischief and mayhem of a soul split in two.

As Ellie and Cam explore their deepest desires and barely escape with their lives, there is only one certainty: Trusting in shadows is a dangerous game.

Although this book isn’t being released until 5th January 2016, I was lucky enough to be given a digital version for free from the publisher (Kensington Books) via Netgally.com in exchange for a fair review. 

Thank you.


 ...So, what did I like about it?

I found Ms Kellison’s writing style very easy to read and although the cast of characters were aplenty and the world was new to me, I didn’t get lost in the plot. I enjoyed getting to know her take of the world of Fae, Shadow (magic), Mages (magicians who forfeit their soul for magical power), Wraiths (immortal beings who eat souls) and the humans who live and work in this changing world.

I devoured the 1st part/book "Shadow Touch" what an opening! The life that Ellie had lead *sniff* made me quite emotional but I love that she's not a whiny, helpless female! In fact, Ellie and Cam both grew and developed through the four novellas, both in their romantic relationship and in their personal evolution.

I liked the fact that I wasn’t quite sure where the story was going to take us, it doesn’t read like the usual PNR (Paranormal Romance) story arc; it kept me guessing and I found it a real page turner.

I chuckled, I held my breath in horror/tension, I blushed and yes I shed the odd tear – I was engrossed in this book from start to finish.

...So, ummm, was there anything I disliked about it?

Not disliked but my main niggle is that this book did not read like a novel, as implied by the blurb but more of a box set of the novellas (the story arc stretches over a 14month or so time frame). That’s not a bad thing; I just feel that a slight change to the wording of the blurb would correct the potential misunderstanding.

...So, basically what I’m saying is...

I really enjoyed this collection of novellas and I will be adding Ms Kellison’s Shadow series to my Amazon wish list – there’s so much more to discover about this world and the cast of characters!

If you’re a fan of tales of the paranormal or fantasy world with a real to life romance story (no insta-romance here) cleverly weaved between the action, mystery and weirdness (or is that wyrdness) all finished off with a satisfactory HEA (Happily Ever After) ending for our romantic couple then I’d recommend this book for you.

So, have I sparked an interested for SHADOW TOUCHED in you? Just click on any of the links below and have a look at the book yourself.
Buy SHADOW TOUCHED on Barnes&Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment