Wednesday 16 April 2014

Flora Reviews... Touched by the Light by Linn B Halton




(https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18631740-touched-by-the-light)



...So what’s this book about?
We are introduced to Mya, a smart, vital young twenty something who is finding it hard to believe that she has just died. What is she supposed to do now? She doesn’t feel like she is in Heaven or Hell, so where is she? What is expected of her? She finds herself chatting to Laurel, herself a young, woman who has what she sees as the dubious gift of being able to communicate with spirits. We meet Dan, Laurel’s boyfriend and Lennie, Laurel’s best friend and we’re introduced to Mya’s sister, Sadie and Mya’s boyfriend Sam.
 
...So, what did I like about it?
This story was not what I was expecting; it isn’t your usual “angel” love story.
The whole book is written in the first person but not all from Mya’s point of view! Laurel, Dan, Lennie all get to “speak” to us, even Sadie, Mya’s sister and Grace, who is a medium that Dan goes to for help and advice, have their chance to tell us their view of the story. Linn’s clever way of dealing with the potentially confusing aspect of multiply characters “speaking to us” is to give each character a separate section/chapter and to give it a title that makes it clear whose perspective we’re immersing ourselves in. This brought all the characters alive for me, making them seem real and adding a tangible feel to the overall story. The characters made me laugh and cry, the story made me stop and think and I really enjoyed the way Ms Halton completely surprised me with her plot twists.

...So, ummm, was there anything I disliked about it?
At first, I felt as though I was meandering through the story without any real purpose, I couldn’t see a specific plot path, or where Ms Halton was going to lead me next, although perhaps this says more about my hidden impatient nature than the talented storytelling skills of Ms Halton. ;-) I’ve reminded myself that the journey is just as important, if not more so, than the end destination.

...So, basically what I’m saying is...
I love it when a story exceeds my expectations and surprises me by taking me on a journey that I wasn’t expecting; Touched by the Light did exactly that!
I haven’t really read anything like it before, so if you like romance, subject matter that make you think and are intrigued by the paranormal, I recommend that you read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment