Tuesday 15 April 2014

Flora Reviews... Flower of Scotland by William Meikle





 

...So what’s this book about?

This is a collection of William Meikle’s short stories (1000-2500 words each), that have appeared previously in magazines or anthologies.  The 14 stories are from various genres; horror, mystery, sci-fi, paranormal.
Turn Again
The Yule Log
Twitterspace
Supply and Demand
At the Beach
Flower of Scotland
Habit
Animal, Vegetable or Mineral
The Last Day of Summer
The Strange Case of Dr McIntyre
Rickman’s Plasma
Can You Hear Them?
#dreaming
The Young Lochinvar

...So, what did I like about it?
The different writing styles are sympathetic with the story and it’s characters. I was impressed with how quickly the characters in these tales felt real to me and had me involved in their individual stories (I even shed a few tears).  Every story had a mystery element to it that had me eagerly guessing where I would be lead next right up until the end.

...So, ummm, was there anything I disliked about it?
Not really. I found the beginning of “Rickman’s Plasma” hard to follow at first but this was only down to my lack of scientific knowledge (some of the words I had to look up!)  and once the story got going I was happily immersed.

...So, basically what I’m saying is...
This is a great collection of short stories! It’s like listening to a “Best of Rock” compilation CD, various sub-genres but all get your heart pumping and endorphins flowing. So, if you’re a fan of horror, mystery or sci-fi and like suspense and tension without all the gore, then give this book a go. I haven’t read any of William Meikle’s other books but after reading these stories, I will be looking for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment