Wednesday 16 April 2014

Flora Reviews... The Viscount's Son by Aderyn Wood



 




...So what’s this book about?
This story is a Novella (shorter than a novel but longer than a short story) and it is written in the style of a fictional blog by our heroine, Emma. Emma is an intelligent twenty-something book conservator who has given herself this online project to transcribe an ancient and mysterious diary. Emma's colleague, Jack, believes the medieval 'diary' is a fake but she decides to translate the text anyway and leave it up to her readers to decide. The story follows Emma's journey to discern the mysteries of the medieval memoir, while glimpsing her life too as she writes her blog.

...So, what did I like about it?
I loved the unique way that Aderyn Wood told this story and the clever way she combined older “classic” style language and mannerisms in the form of the 16th century journal entries with the modern style of writing we use today, that we read in Emma’s blog. I felt as though I not only got to know Emma through her blog but the mysterious diary writer “N.C.” too, which is all down to the creative and descriptive talents of Ms Wood. Although I did guess the twist, I was still gripped, wanting to keep reading and the way the story ended... wow, it not only made me smile (I think I actually gasped!) but left me feeling intrigued. I love that (eek! it’s hard to write a review without giving anything away! Lol!)

...So, ummm, was there anything I disliked about it?
No not really, although I hope it’s not a stand alone story ... hint!hint!

...So, basically what I’m saying is...
This is a great story! It’s easy to download and way too cheap to ignore! If you like mystery stories with a bit of fantasy and romance without being gory or overtly erotic (although it’s not squeaky clean ;-) ), you will love this story. What are you waiting for...

No comments:

Post a Comment