Wednesday 7 May 2014

Flora Reviews.... Clean Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles #1) by Ilona Andrews



(https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19166326-clean-sweep)





...So what’s this book about?
This is a short novel, about 60,000 words and is the first book in the Innkeeper Chronicles. It was originally posted as a “serial” on Ilona Andrews’ website.
The Innkeeper Chronicles are about Dina Demille, an intelligent, funny and capable young woman who runs a quiet Bed & Breakfast in a small Texas town. What her neighbours don’t know is that Dina and her Inn are not what they appear to be; her broom is a deadly weapon, her Inn is magic and thinks for itself and is a safe haven for otherworldly visitors.
This story begins with Dina having to decide whether to abandon the rules and get involved when her neighbourhood becomes the hunting ground for a vicious killer...

 ...So, what did I like about it?
I really enjoyed this book. It was a great self contained story that also left enough mysteries unanswered in the back story to allow for sequels.
I loved the original premise that mythological beings such as werewolves, vampires and shape-shifter were not an evolution from humans but extra terrestrials from other planets. The idea of who and what the Inns and Innkeepers are is refreshing and believable within this fantasy world that this husband and wife team have created.
The writing style, depth of characters and story development made this a real page turner for me. I couldn’t put it down! To feel so involved with Dina & actually feel for a building (Gertrude Hunt, the Inn itself) just proves what talented authors Ilona and Gordon Andrews are. The supporting cast of characters were just as thought out and I’m looking forward to finding out more about them in subsequent books.

...So, ummm, was there anything I disliked about it?
Not really, no.

...So, basically what I’m saying is...
I really loved this book! If you’re a fan of urban fantasy with a science fiction twist and a horror/thriller storyline then I suggest you give Clean Sweep a try. I’m glad I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment