Wednesday 7 May 2014

Flora Reviews... Inside Evil by Geoffrey Wakeling



(https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13556524-inside-evil)

...So what’s this book about?
Inside Evil is the first in a growing series, 4 books so far; Inside Evil #1, Tower of Souls #2, Spirits of the Middlelands #3 and New Alliances #4.
This paranormal mystery is set in a small isolated rural community on the borders of England and Scotland but the sleepy peace is about to be broken, when local boarding school teacher, Roberta Arlington, finds one of her pupils dead, in the school’s corridor. What looks like, at first, a strange but tragic one-off incident is slowly revealed to be just one of many mysterious deaths and disappearances in the town’s history.

 ...So, what did I like about it?
The way this story was told, reminded me of books written by authors like Agatha Christie, Ngaio Marsh and P.D. James. I liked the eloquent way Mr Wakeling described the town, the people living there and even the weather (which almost become a character in it’s own right in my mind). The sometimes gentle, meandering of the story gave me, the reader, time to process clues and events and breathing space to try to work out where the story was going next. I liked seeing the mystery from more than one character’s perspective but feeling, like them, in the dark about what was happening in the town & why it was happening. I felt on the edge of my seat, wondering if Roberta, Sam, Susan, Martha and Karl would join forces to solve the mystery together and prevent another death.

...So, ummm, was there anything I disliked about it?
Not really. My only niggle is that I think as a seasoned policeman, Karl should have been more pro-active in finding out about past disappearances and deaths in Ridgewood.

...So, basically what I’m saying is...
I really enjoyed reading this book. If Agatha Christie had written a mystery story with a fantasy theme, I think it would have been like Inside Evil. If you enjoy your fantasy or paranormal stories with a mystery to solve, then give this book a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment